Call it cake or bread, or just cakey bread – its soft, moist, and as sweet as you want it to be. But best of all its egg free, dairy free, gluten free, grain free and nut free!
So what IS in it?…
3 ripe mashed bananas (about 1 1/2 cups, or 300g). If you want really sweet cakey bread, use black bananas or less sweet, use yellow bananas.
3 tbsp chia seeds soaking in 1 cup water for about 15 mins.
2 tbsp coconut sugar (or honey, or maple syrup – or leave it out if you dont want it too sweet)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda (aka baking soda)
1/2 tsp sea salt
40g coconut flour (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
3 tbsp desiccated coconut (optional)
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat your oven to 180C (175C if fan assisted) / Gas mark 4.
2. Line and grease a loaf tin with parchment paper. I like to rub a good bit of melted coconut oil onto the paper to make sure it doesn’t stick.
3. In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas, vanilla extract, and soaked chia seeds and their water. Use a hand whisk or blender to mix well.
4. Add the coconut flour, desiccated coconut (if using), bicarbonate of soda, and salt to the wet mix and whisk again to combine.
5. Let the batter rest for about 5-10 mins so the coconut flour has time to absorb the liquids. It should become a fairly thick consistency.
6. Pour mix into loaf tin and bake for 40-50 mins or until browned on top or when a skewer/toothpick inserted into the middle, comes out clean.
7. Cool completely before slicing. This is very very moist and may come apart if sliced when warm…its worth the wait!
MAKES 1 LOAF
Is it freezable? YES!
How long will it keep? Less than 48 hours in my house, or up to 2 weeks covered in an air tight container in the fridge in anyone elses house.